|Company Name:||VSE Corporation|
|Job Location:||Columbia, MD|
|Job Posted Date:||20-04-2023|
VSE Corporation is seeking a Senior Energy Analyst in Columbia, MD. Please take a moment to read the job post below if you are interested:
Are you looking for a rewarding opportunity to apply your passion for sustainability in manufacturing? Energetics is currently hiring multidisciplinary engineers and scientists to contribute to the important changes that are underway in the manufacturing sector. This opening is for a Senior Strategic Analyst to support our Department of Energy clients. The successful candidate will conduct independent analysis/research on industrial energy and manufacturing systems, work closely with government and National Laboratory clients to distill and communicate key technical information, and provide input on DOE programmatic strategic direction. Activities will include data analysis, technical writing, building of collaborations and connections, and general program support. The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator who is adept at communicating technical findings to both experts and non-experts. Excellent interpersonal, presentation and writing skills are essential to this role.
As part of your work, you’ll gain innovative knowledge and contribute towards technologies, policies, and R&D trends and strategies for reducing industrial and economy-wide energy and emissions and improving material/energy efficiency. Strong candidates for this position will have a science and/or engineering degree, broad technology interests, and strong technical and communications skills. Experience/expertise in manufacturing process operations is desired—whether that expertise is specific to one or more manufacturing industries (such as steel or chemicals) or cross-cutting across multiple industries (such as thermal processes, systems integration, or technology scale-up). The candidate should have skills in assessing industrial technologies that can improve emissions performance & energy efficiency and a strong understanding of manufacturing scale-up barriers/solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Supporting and advising government clients with programmatic analysis, program/project management, and strategic planning.
- Performing literature reviews (e.g., using Google Scholar) to collect technical information and synthesize into quickly digestible reports, fact sheets, or briefings on different technical topics.
- Participating as a contributor or lead for industrial energy and emissions analysis projects resulting in the creation of valuable resources for the community such as data products and visualizations. (As examples, see the Manufacturing Energy and Carbon Footprints and the Manufacturing Energy Bandwidth Studies, both produced by Energetics for DOE).
- Collaborating on analysis and research with industrial experts, universities/laboratories, and other government personnel.
- Synthesizing and clearly communicating results of research to colleagues and clients through formal and informal presentations and written technical communications (reports, white papers, fact sheets, briefings, journal articles, etc.)
- Liaising between scientists at universities/laboratories and government decision-makers to assist in distilling key technical results and potential impacts from R&D.
- Preparing and presenting technology and programmatic reports, presentations, briefings to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Participating, supporting, and helping to coordinate in-person and virtual meetings (client/team meetings, stakeholder engagements, workshops, discussions with industry experts, etc.).
- Work closely with program managers and co-workers in a fast-paced collaborative team environment (diligent and responsive contributor).
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: (INCLUDES EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES), ETC.):
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or scientific field.
- 5 years of professional experience (including internships) in a relevant field (or 3 years’ experience with an M.S. or doctoral degree)
- Personal interest and experience in analyzing industrial energy systems, sustainable manufacturing, and decarbonization strategies and technologies
- Excellent analytical skills (quantitative and qualitative), problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities.
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal, and interpersonal).
- Excellent organization and time management skills in self-managed tasks, including the ability to plan and manage tasking on multiple client projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, specifically Teams, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- In compliance with Executive Order 14042, any successful applicant for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or obtain an accommodation from the vaccination requirement based on disability or sincerely held religious belief, on or before the start date
- M.S. or Ph.D. in an engineering or scientific field (or B.S. with research experience) are a plus
- Experience working with interdisciplinary groups
- Strong ability/interest in making connections and building collaborations in the technical community
- Demonstrated versatility; strong ability to transfer technical skills to new technologies, fields and topics.
- Expertise in at least two of the following technical areas:
- Industrial heating and thermal energy use
- Process operations and energy use in one or more energy-intensive industries (chemicals, concrete/cement, iron and steel, pulp and paper, food and beverage)
- Process operations and energy use in one or more other manufacturing industries (glass, aluminum/nonferrous metals, automotive, semiconductors/electronics, etc.)
- Critical materials and critical material supply chains
- Energy storage
- Composite materials and lightweight metals
- Experience in any of the following analytical techniques:
- Material flow analysis
- Environmental life cycle assessment
- Techno-economic analysis
- Industrial energy systems analysis, forecasting, or modeling (with any relevant quantitative technique)
- Experience in government consulting, supporting government organizations, public-private partnerships, or stakeholder engagement.
Energetics is a full-service technology and management consulting firm serving public- and private-sector clients. For 40 years, we have helped our clients integrate clean energy technologies and strategies into real-world applications.
This position can be filled as in-person at any of our offices, hybrid, or remote. Energetics employees in the greater Washington, DC area (including hybrid and local-remote staff in DC and Maryland) enjoy regular opportunities for in-person engagement with our DOE clients and Energetics staff. All employees, including remote employees, will be welcomed into a collegial and supportive work environment.
Due to Federal government contract restrictions, this position may require U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. All candidates for this position must be legally able to work in the United States for any employer. This position cannot be filled by a remote employee who will work outside of the United States.
The selected applicant will be subject to a background check and drug testing.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. VSE considers candidates regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
VSE is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Getting the Senior Energy Analyst designation comes with some responsibilities. It would be a wise idea to take a few minutes to learn more about it so you can make an informed decision.
Applicants must meet the above-mentioned requirements in order to qualify for consideration to work as a Senior Energy Analyst.
By clicking on the apply now button, you will be redirected to the official recruitment website where you can fill out your application.